1. How far in advance do you start getting ready for back-to-school (whether for your own kids, or for yourself when you were in school)?
I usually start picking up school supplies when the main stores like Target or Walmart have them out. You know, when boxes of crayons are five for $1…. I grab at least 10. Which means I have stacks of crayons… Oh well. I guess I could take up coloring as a hobby. When it’s time to actually go back to school we go shopping to fill in the gaps.
2. Do you have any picky eaters who need special considerations for lunches? What does a typical bagged lunch look like in your house?
Amanda eats at home, after her morning at high school and before heading to her college classes, Bailey takes cash and being the pickiest person in our household I’m afraid a lot of days he buys chips… I buy things for him to take but he doesn’t feel like it’s cool to take a lunch. Emelia loves everything and loves the cafeteria. So, she just eats at school.
3. What supply items do you skimp on and what are you willing to shell out the big bucks for?
We probably spend the most on backpacks… I pick up the other things when they are on sale.
4. Do you get your kids up, or do they get up on their own? Any snooze-hitters that have trouble waking up? How about the opposite, any kids that are up at the crack of dawn?
They have alarm clocks… Matt is up before I am and makes sure they are up. Bailey’s bus comes a full hour before Emelia’s bus… Izzy usually wakes up when I do.
5. Any cafeteria horror stories? Is school food as bad as they say?
You know how I hate fruit… well it was revealed to me in sixth grade that they smashed bananas to put in the chocolate sheet cake to meet nutrition requirements… chocolate cake has never been the same for me 🙁
6. How important is it to you to make sure your kids have the latest styles and trendiest accessories?
Not that important. I like them to look nice and cute… but they all have their own styles! I do enjoy dressing Izzy in cute gymboree outfits.
7. Remember the movie Kindergarten Cop? If Arnold Schwarzenegger was your child’s new kindergarten teacher, how would you feel?
I think I’d be okay with it… I would probably question why he gave up his position to come teach the little kids, but we’d adjust 🙂