post Category: near drowning — mylifeasannie @ 10:51 am — post Comments (10)

If you could go back in time to a pivotal point in your young life and give yourself one word/sentence of advice, and know that you would accept the advice, what would it be?

Imagine what a gift it would be if we could actually go back in time and give ourselves advice…Hmm… Of course we cannot, but I think this is a great question for us to ponder. Although, I think many of us would agree that we learned more from the mistakes we made, but wouldn’t it be nice to not have to learn the “hard way” in some situations? Have fun with the question this week.

Whew… there would be so many words of advice to give me! Too many :). I think the main thing I would go back and redo would be the circumstances around Izzy’s accident. I would go back to the time we were having that pool installed and tell myself to put in many security features, an alarm on the pool, a fence directly around the pool with a lock, and an alarm on the door. All to prevent what has happened to Izzy. This lesson has not been fun to learn the hard way, and especially not for sweet sweet Isabelle. Please listen to me now. If you have a pool, any size from kiddie to koi pond, from blow up to in ground… Take extra precautions to keep your child safe. Treat that body of water as if it were a loaded gun lying on the ground there. Don’t let them near it. Never let them out of your site if there is unsecured water. Take your children to swimming lessons early, very young so that they at least would know what to do if they fall into water. There were five drownings in our city alone last week. It happens. A lot. Too much. Don’t let your child be next. Please!

Sweet Annie,

Thank you for your heartfelt plea… I know that there are many parents that would agree with what you said today…if they could go back. You and your family will be a voice crying out that will help others. Blessings to you and sweet Izzy 🙂

toknowhim wrote on June 7, 2008 - 1:27 pm

Annie, you and your sweet Izzy have so much to share with the world. God is using you both for wonderful things! This very week I almost bought one of those 3 foot pools you see at WalMart. No big deal right? Then I remembered your family and all you have taught me, and we did not make that purchase. We do not have a fence, and I worry about not only my children but neighborhood children. Though I am learning from you, I truly wish I could turn back the hands of time for you. God bless you!

Dawn’s Daily Life’s last blog post..Cafe Chat

Dawn’s Daily Life wrote on June 7, 2008 - 1:48 pm

This advice is so valuable for us all. How many of us have those blow up pools filled with water just sitting in the back yard? A little one, even a neighbor kid, could easily flip over it and fall in. I’m so sorry that Izzy had a terrible accident and how stressful it’s been for your family. I hope people will listen to your advice.

Maisie wrote on June 7, 2008 - 2:00 pm

Amen to that. I get so nervous thinking of kids around pools anymore. My boys went swimming at a friend’s house the other day and I was almost crazy over it…you know how teenagers get – horsing around, running around the pool, chasing each other, diving in trying to look cool. I got stressed just thinking about what could happen to them. My 16 year old (Jake) isn’t a very strong swimmer. He finally took lessons last summer and is feeling better, but I spent a long time explaining to my 17 year old (Kaleb) about how he has to watch out for his brother and make sure nobody horses around with him and pulls him under or anything. I think Jake would panic and it would be a disaster. And then I had to go on and on to both of them about the dangers of horsing around. And then, of course, I had to emphasize to Kaleb that he should never, ever dive into a pool because of possible neck injuries, etc., etc., etc. Those boys were just about cross-eyed by the time they left for their friend’s house!

Yeah…too many things can go wrong in a pool. I still think they are a wonderful thing to have, but I agree with your “advice” to your younger self…diligence, safety precautions, supervision…all of that is a “MUST HAVE” around a pool – no matter what age the child(ren) may be.

Kari

Kari’s last blog post..Where For Art Thou, Winter?

Kari wrote on June 7, 2008 - 3:33 pm

My hear breaks as a mom reading your post. I feel your ache adn oh how I’d wish to go back too! I trust the Lord has a plan for you and your family through this. Thank you for sharing.

Just the other day at a friends pool my 3 year old fell in reaching for a toy in the deep end. I was standing right there but my back was turned and I was talking with my other son and didn’t see or hear anything. In fact it was hearing “nothing” that made me look up to see my precious son there in the middle of the pool with only his waving hands above the water, sinking. I jumped in and got him but my life flashed before my eyes and it reminded me to be more aware with my eyes always on my kids around water!

Thank you Lord for Izzy and Izzy’s mom! Comfort and use what the enemy means for bad for good!

Bless you!
sheila

Sheila’s last blog post..We were robbed last night!

Sheila wrote on June 7, 2008 - 5:12 pm

I just stopped by to say Hello Annie. I miss you!

Jenileigh’s last blog post..It is Well with My Soul

Jenileigh wrote on June 7, 2008 - 9:15 pm

I feel so deeply for your pain at what you and Izzy and your family have gone through. Thank you so much for warning others to take the dangers surrounding water very seriously. We too live in a city with many pools, and there are so many drownings and near drownings, it is terribly heartbreaking.

Nancy Face’s last blog post..Never invite Nancy Face to a buffet…

Nancy Face wrote on June 7, 2008 - 9:56 pm

Annie – Thanks for sharing your story. While you can’t go back and warn yourself to prevent what happened to Izzy, I believe that God is using your story to warn and protect others now and in the furture. Keep sharing and God bless you and your family.

Cristine wrote on June 8, 2008 - 2:16 pm

Its amazing how experiences shape us. True, you can’t go back in the past but the Lord is certainly using you; I have no kids – yet, but when I do….you can be sure ALL the security measures will be around the pool. Blessings.

sharon’s last blog post..Do the David thing

sharon wrote on June 9, 2008 - 4:59 pm

That must have been a difficult lesson to learn. As Sharon says above – your experiences shape you, it’s just a shame that we can’t come “pre-loaded” with the right experience!

Sam’s last blog post..Advice