post Category: Uncategorized — mylifeasannie @ 9:42 am — post Comments (9)

So yesterday was the funeral I mentioned. Matt took off work to go to the funeral. He got to know Louis while we were dating and then in the early years of our marriage. He was instrumental in Matt’s baptism, and Matt really thought a lot of him. The funeral was short. And sweet. I only got upset once during the funeral during congregational singing of the song, “His Grace Reaches Me.” I remembered somewhere in my mind that Louis loved that song.

I had a funny memory of Louis in my mind during that song … We (the youth group and several sponsors including my parents) were in Clyde, KS for a missions trip. We had a VBS in the small town, did a lot of door knocking etc. The town was/is very old with a main street of two story buildings. We stayed above the church and had access to the American Legion Hall next door. That room was mostly used for meals and playing games in the evenings. Some of the boys set up a trap in a doorway with flour. Meant for someone else I’m sure. Louis’ wife Ann got out of bed for some reason and was the recipient of all that flour. She looked like a ghost. It made Louis so mad (he was very protective of his wife) that he chased them around that building at full speed. I laughed so hard. The whole thing was unforgettably funny.

The interesting thing about the funeral was how many people from my past I saw. I find it a little sad that I only seem to see people at funerals these days. We always say, “Let’s get together sometime when it’s not a funeral.” And then don’t. I saw so many people from my old youth group including an old boyfriend, “Robbie.” Matt was really patient as I visited with all those people. He finally waited in the car telling me he didn’t feel like a funeral was a place to work the crowd. I told him it was the only chance to see all those people and I wanted to speak to them, hug them, etc. He was just upset I think, there have been too many funerals lately. I guess that’s part of getting older.

It’s an ongoing joke out here in CA “We’ll have to get together soon…do lunch…”
But it is really sad how people don’t have time for each other anymore. I’ve been really checking out sites and books on entertaining…it’s an area I need to personally develop…not trying to be fancy, but learning to open my home and be comfortable doing so…kwim?

sheryl wrote on June 4, 2008 - 12:50 pm

Louis sounds like a wonderful man. Loved the story of the flour.
It is awful when you only see people at funerals, isn’t it. Sometimes I really don’t like getting old.

yvonne’s last blog post..Family Fun

yvonne wrote on June 4, 2008 - 2:20 pm

Funerals are difficult things–we rejoice if someone knows the LORD, we are sad because we will miss them, we see people we miss–for a sad occasion…the list goes on.

We were recently at a funeral and what you said has been on my mind a lot–we are always going to “get together” but when? We’ve been to many funerals in the last few years.

(())

Julie

Joyful Days’s last blog post..A Rose for the Crown by Anne Easter Smith

Joyful Days wrote on June 4, 2008 - 3:11 pm

it does seem like the only time we see alot of people from our past is at times like these.

KC’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday(Little Man and KitKat)

KC wrote on June 4, 2008 - 3:52 pm

I know what you mean about attending more funerals as we get older.

I loved the flour trap story…I needed a good laugh today! 🙂

Nancy Face’s last blog post..Happy Anniversary to Ty and Sierra!

Nancy Face wrote on June 4, 2008 - 3:55 pm

I feel like we’ve been in that phase too! We see people at weddings and funerals and lately it seems like it’s more funerals. It would be if everyone had the time to get together at other times but sometimes our lives are just so busy.

Gail’s last blog post..Barefoot in the Park

Gail wrote on June 4, 2008 - 4:32 pm

What a nice way to remember him. It seems those kinds of things (funerals and such) always happen in 3s or 4s. It does in my family anyway.

Shawna’s last blog post..Meme Shores

Shawna wrote on June 4, 2008 - 6:53 pm

Funerals are always hard and I know that sometimes it does seem like we “use” them to catch up with old acquaintances. But, you know, I think maybe the people who we are honoring at these funerals might just be okay with that. I mean, think about it for a minute….Mr. Louis’s last gift to all of you was for you to see one another again. The fact that so many people came from different times in his life must speak volumes about the sort of person he was. I understand what Matt was thinking and feeling, but I think when I go (as in die, not just “go” to a funeral!), it would be a great honor to my memory for the people who came to my funeral to tell my earthly body goodbye to enjoy one another and reconnnect, no matter how small of a reconnection it may be.

By the way, I’m very sorry for your loss.

Kari

Kari wrote on June 4, 2008 - 8:30 pm

I’m so sorry for you loss. Funerals are hard things. The picture is simply beautiful! Hugs my friend. I’ve missed you!

Jenileigh’s last blog post..And The Winners Are…..

Jenileigh wrote on June 5, 2008 - 11:12 pm