post Category: Uncategorized — mylifeasannie @ 1:57 pm — post Comments (10)

So, I was thinking about not doing a time travel this week… because I hadn’t really thought about it and I don’t have any thoughts right now. BUT, the first thing that popped in my head is funny cooking mishaps. I don’t have many of those these days, but in the beginning there were some laughs.

How about you? Did you have any crazy cooking mishaps when you were learning to cook? Can you remember the first meal you attempted to make? Was it a success or a joke? Link up and share your story as you travel back to your cooking mishap.

The funniest cooking mishap that I can remember happened before Matt and I were married. He was at my parents house and I decided to make gravy. I don’t think I had ever made gravy before. I knew the ingredients from watching mom make it, but not the amounts. So, I’m feeling pretty confident as I add my flour to the pan and then some milk… until I pour it into a bowl. It came out like a jello mold. In one piece. We both got a good laugh out of that gravy and I’m happy to report I can now make gravy! One of my oldest friends, Mendy, has had the best cooking mishaps of anyone I can think of. She doesn’t blog, and really doesn’t even visit blogs… but she is hilarious and her mistakes were always the hit of the party. She asked for my lemon chicken recipe to make her family when she was still living at home. The key to that recipe is the touch of brown sugar at the end to cut the sour lemon juice. Of course Mendy forgot the brown sugar and her family puckered as they tried to eat the meal. Mendy made fudge for a get together we had and we all enjoyed eating it, with a spoon!

I love your gravy story, Annie. Gravy was pretty darn tricky for me, and I must confess that I don’t make it all that often. If it is the holidays or special family get together, I always call my mom or grandmother to come in and make it. Thanks for a fun question this week.
*smiles*
Kim

P.S.–I passed a normally cheap gas station today and the unleaded (the cheapest) was $3.59…and so it continues to creep ever upward!

Kim’s last blog post..the joys of cooking–time travel tuesday

Kim wrote on April 22, 2008 - 12:21 am

I’m sorry I haven’t been around…we’re having some nasty computer problems! ๐Ÿ™

What a fun Time Travel! (I’d love to play, but not sure my sick computer will allow it!) I’m still not a great cook, but when I got married I knew almost nothing! POOR KRIS! It’s a miracle he survived, haha! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nancy Face’s last blog post..No April Showers, but…

Nancy Face wrote on April 22, 2008 - 7:30 am

I am the worst gravy maker–I usually make paste ; ( Thank goodness Allan makes GREAT gravy.

I still have cooking mishaps.

yvonne’s last blog post..Packing

yvonne wrote on April 22, 2008 - 7:31 am

I can’t make gravy to save my life! Thank goodness for jars!! LOL. I took make fudge that you have to eat with a spoon!

Jodi’s last blog post..Trent’s birthday at Craig’s Cruisers

Jodi wrote on April 22, 2008 - 8:26 am

I think I still make cooking mistakes from time to time! Especially if I get in a hurry.

Gail’s last blog post..Play Ball!

Gail wrote on April 22, 2008 - 11:45 am

How funny! The first time I tried to cook one of my dad’s special casseroles for my dh, I decided that the rice needed to be on the bottom and then bake it. I have no idea why. DH thought I was wrong (he was right) and that was our first married fight! LOL!

oh amanda’s last blog post..Oh Bay-Bee!!

oh amanda wrote on April 22, 2008 - 1:09 pm

(btw, I have like 5 new posts from you in my bloglines, but then when I come over here, I only see one. Are you back-posting your pay per posts or something?)

oh amanda’s last blog post..Oh Bay-Bee!!

oh amanda wrote on April 22, 2008 - 1:09 pm

I’m still not that great at making gravy. ๐Ÿ™‚ Great topic!

Dawn’s Daily Life’s last blog post..It’s The ‘Something I Love’ Giveaway!!

Dawn’s Daily Life wrote on April 22, 2008 - 1:38 pm

Love the gravy story. For the longest time my honey always made our gravy…now I make a pretty mean one myself ๐Ÿ˜‰
Sorry I’m late…but finally got mine up.

sheryl wrote on April 22, 2008 - 11:22 pm

I love the gravy story!! When I was living with roommates in an apartment, I made scalloped potatoes in a glass dish. I pulled them out of the over and accidentally set them on a stove eye that was still on. The whole bowl shattered!!

Shawna’s last blog post..More Book Reviews