time travel tuesday ~ babysitting experience

Travel back to your first few babysitting jobs, were you a teenager?

Were there any interesting, scary, or neat experiences you remember?

I think I started babysitting before I was actually a ‘teenager,’ I think the first victim was a baby across the street. She was a newborn and her parents decided to go out on a date. I stayed at her house and she started coughing worse and worse. I ended up bringing her to my house and having mom help with her. Apparently she had pneumonia! Scary!

But even more memorable than that was my many babysitting experiences for a lady at church who was a Mary Kay director… complete with the pink Cadillac! She would either bring me along to parties and stick me in a room with 8-10 screaming kids, or leave me at her house to care for her two children. I kid you not, the only food in her home was unsalted butter and cream of celery soup… I made it work 🙂

The other fun part about that was that no matter how many hours of torture fun I had with however many kids I always ended up getting paid in makeup, usually mary kay lipgloss. I am not sure why I kept going back, I guess I didn’t like to say no or something?

Tags:

15 Responses to “time travel tuesday ~ babysitting experience”

1. yvonne says:

After the pneumonia scare, I’m amazed you every babysat again.

I wonder what the Mary Kay woman would have given a male babysitter???

yvonne’s last blog post..The Wisdom of Youth

2. Jodi says:

Butter and soup… Hmmmm Glad you made it work. I don’t know if I could handle that many kids at once, the most I have had in my care at one time has been 5 and that was torture.

Have a blessed Tuesday!

Jodi’s last blog post..Time Travel Tuesday ~ Babysitting edition

3. Whitney says:

Free makeup! Yeah!
    I’m kind of curious how you got butter and soup to “work”, ha ha.
    Babysitting was fun times. I’m glad I never had a pneumonia scare though.

Whitney’s last blog post..Post-Valentine’s

4. KC says:

I’m all for free make-up but sometimes a girl needs some cash also.. 🙂
    great time travel.

5. Tori :) says:

Free makeup?? That’s pretty lame although MK can be expensive.

Tori :)’s last blog post..Signs I need to get out more- Nickelodeon Version

6. Sheryl says:

No way getting paid in makeup would have cut it for me…I wasn’t allowed to wear the stuff, lol!
    And if you were able to make cream of celery soup and unsalted butter work for you or the kids, you deserve some kind of chefs award! 🙂

7. Sheryl says:

Sorry…just realized I input an incomplete URL above…this is the corrected one.

8. Dena says:

hahahahah- I babysat for the girl across the street – i think i was 12 and she was 7 – her parents left her with me all day everyday of the summer – yikes – i would never leave annie with a mini me – I was a very good sitter though!

Dena’s last blog post..Dora the Explorer Birthday Party!

9. Shawna says:

Sounded like the MK lady loved you. I hated babysitting, so I rarely ever did it. Although my first job was watching twenty 5 years old at an after-school program. I got in trouble because I accidentally let one of them loose in the school.

Shawna’s last blog post..Slow, Sick Day

10. karen says:

Wow the MaryKay lady sounded a bit scary, what an experience. You always sound so sanguine and find the joy in everything, I think I would have been freaking out. Did she eat out a lot then? and What did you make with the celery and the unsalted butter?

karen’s last blog post..I’m a Gentle Mother Hen – what are you?

11. Wow, this is one of the worst stories I’ve heard. I was wondering why you sat for the Mary Kay woman a 2nd or 3rd time myself! You must have been a really nice teenager. I wasn’t, and I didn’t babysit much, so I can’t really time travel this week. But I’ll be back!

12. Martha says:

I remember babysitting being a sometimes scary experience (like the time the house was almost broken into) and always rewarding experience (like the developmentally delayed little girl I watched for a year who suddenly blurted out my name one day). I remember feeling overwhelmed and grateful that these parents trusted me with their most precious cargo. I’ve never forgotten any of the 23 children I cared for. I miss them terribly!

Martha’s last blog post..Feelin’ Fine!

13. Nancy Face says:

Your babysitting stories were amazing! I would have been so terrified about the newborn with pneumonia, YIKES!

The Mary Kay lady sounds funny, but I can’t even believe how adults can hand out injustice, I mean lipgloss to their hard working, tortured babysitters!

Nancy Face’s last blog post..Why does food look better by candlelight?

14. kiki says:

I’m 23 and i still baby sit couple times a month. I love it. I get to burn my energy & the kids energy all together and get a good night sleep & I have over 5 yrs. experience.

Recently, i started with a new family and I’m hesitant to go back. The child is 2 1/2 old, no sibling, no closer family living around the area, and mom is a stay-at-home mom. Thus, the child (Ben) remembers & cries for his mom every 10 min. but I kept him distracted with games, dancing, reading, playing etc. He’s not use to having anyone but his mom watching him and I did babysit before so he has seen me.

Last time if watched Ben, I went 2 the mall with him at the mom request so he busy for couple hours, he played in kids area, walked around. (I did Not shop.) After the mall, Ben remembered his mom, cried alot and after a while I called the mom & asked her if she could return a little earlier. Mom said her event was ending at 10 & should arrive home by 10:30. Luckily, I kept Ben from crying again with food, peek-a-book, books etc. Parents did not return until 11:20pm & did NOT pay for the last 20 min.

I think its courteous to pay the sitter for extra 30 min. or at least for 20 min. past the hour.
    What do you guys think? Or am I asking too much?
    Any suggestions as to where should I head towards?

KIKI