post Category: Uncategorized — mylifeasannie @ 6:00 am — post Comments (29)

What is your favorite memory(s) from Summer camp?

I spent a week every summer I can remember growing up at Camp Rock Creek! I love that place… It is about 30 miles away from where I live and where I met Matt. It holds many many special memories. Here are a few that come to mind…

• I loved camp when I was younger because I enjoyed swimming and all the singing and games played at camp. Who can resist a good shaving cream fight?
  • As I got older I loved camp for the spiritual aspects, it was a place of reflection, friendship and at that time (in my mind) the most important thing in the world… BOYS!
  • We made up skits every year and competed against other cabins. I remember one year (junior high times) that we did a silly skit about escargot… good times. Usually the fun skits involved dressing a favorite guy up like one of the girls.
  • Another favorite competition was the cleanest cabin. You got to be first in the mess hall line and canteen for goodness sakes! If you had the dirtiest cabin you got the dreaded dirty sock which had to be carried around the entire day… and you had to clean the mess hall… ugh!
  • I remember one really stormy year in which we spent every night in the hall of the open foyer. It was crazy scary to see those dark clouds come over the tops of the trees. The older girls really got scared… I remember one fainting!
  • I always over packed! I single handedly clothed (very stylishly I might add) many of the girls in my cabin for a lot of years… mom loved my the laundry bag when I came home.
  • Mom was usually the cook. It was great to have the perk of raiding the refrigerator at night!
  • I was baptized at camp. I still remember the misty foggy glow of the pool that night. God’s presence was felt.
  • Who remembers “get your elbows off the table Annie Bailey?”… “round the mess hall you must go…” I loved that!
  • One of my last years there I was a junior counselor and it was rumored that I snuck out at night with a fellow boy junior counselor to ***kiss*** … I can neither confirm nor deny those assumptions. It was a fun year though. (well, til the friend who was dating that boy found out that rumor and well, didn’t forget it for many many years.)
  • I told you I met Matt there, but not during a camp week… I’ll save that story for another travel.

That sounds like a good place to go next week, how we met our husbands… what do you think?

I loved reading about your wonderful camp experiences! I always loved my camp too, but it had a HUGE difference…no boys! Now I go every year as an adult leader…this summer will be my 18th year doing that, and I think I have even more fun than the girls, haha!

Nancy Face wrote on July 17, 2007 - 2:40 am

I loved reading about your experiences, but I can’t contribute since I didn’t go to camps. Sad, I know.

Hugs!
Kat

justabeachkat wrote on July 17, 2007 - 2:52 am

ooh I never ever experienced a Camp, but I’d love to join in next week’s, where we met our husbands!

Karen wrote on July 17, 2007 - 2:58 am

Hi!

I found your blog from another and another… I really like your blog! My name is Angela and my family calls me “Annie” so if you don’t mind I may borrow your picture! Let me know if it’s a problem! Thanks SO much! I am new to this!

I like your camp story idea! I had a few but… unfortunately I don’t know what my URL is??? I have a Mac computer and am not sure how that works!

Blessings,
Ang…. “Annie”

ang baylis wrote on July 17, 2007 - 3:13 am

Hey Annie,
I loved catching up on your blog posts…laughed out loud when I read your reference to my hating the bluetooth! Ha ha. I am so glad that it went well at the healing school. I love your new little picture of you kissing Izzy. So sweet. Well, talk to you more soon! Have a great day, my friend!
Corrie

Corrie wrote on July 17, 2007 - 3:53 am

We had awesome cooks at camp when I was a counselor. They were some really neat ladies.

Great memories Annie!!

Joyful Days wrote on July 17, 2007 - 4:06 am

Those all sound like such fun memories!

Barbara H. wrote on July 17, 2007 - 4:34 am

Shaving cream fights! YES! I do rememeber those. Awesome memories.

Tori :) wrote on July 17, 2007 - 4:48 am

Well—
I sure enjoyed reading about your camp experience! Go read mine–kind of pathetic–those memories are not among my most cherished! 🙂
*smiles*
Kim

kim wrote on July 17, 2007 - 6:58 am

I remember a lot of those same things from my camp! It’s funny how the same traditions are carried in other camps so far away as well. I was baptized at camp, too! I love remembering the presence of God I felt on those dark nights by the pool!

Mandalyn wrote on July 17, 2007 - 10:25 am

Great memories, Annie. I never went to camp, as a child.

Carrie! :o) wrote on July 17, 2007 - 12:00 pm

Oh, how fun to read! I’m like Carrie…never went to camp either.

Debi wrote on July 17, 2007 - 1:42 pm

How fun! I can’t participate this week because I didn’t ever get to go to camp. Bummer.

Judi wrote on July 17, 2007 - 1:50 pm

Great memories! Camp was always a blast!

Raising Joey wrote on July 17, 2007 - 2:00 pm

You went to Falls Creek, didn’t you? LOL

– PRACTiCAL CHiCK wrote on July 17, 2007 - 2:28 pm

You were the cook’s kid??? Boy, you DID have it made…lol!!
Fun memories…thanks for sharing and for hostessing TTT.

sheryl wrote on July 17, 2007 - 4:01 pm

Yes, I loved the skits, too!
And I would have been one of the girls who benefitted from you bringing all those clothes, so on their behalf, “Thanks!” 🙂

Irritable Mother wrote on July 17, 2007 - 4:08 pm

I remember in HS sitting in the evening around the fire in the ampitheater at Angeles Crest Christian Camp singing and listening to the speaker. That was the best part!!

My daughter goes next Monday!!

Miss Paula wrote on July 17, 2007 - 6:17 pm

I’m so busy with kids, I almost forgot to post! Thanks for bringing up a favorite memory!!

Leni wrote on July 17, 2007 - 6:30 pm

I enjoyed reading your camp memories! Brought back some memories for me.

Lorie wrote on July 17, 2007 - 8:04 pm

LOL Annie all your camp memories I have those same sort of ones.. EVEN the sneaking out at night to kiss a boy one while on Staff. LOL
What a great Time travel.

KC wrote on July 17, 2007 - 8:57 pm

I love it, Annie! I posted about camp, too!

oh amanda wrote on July 18, 2007 - 12:27 am

This was so fun to read…especially since I never went to camp growing up.

Jill@Who Could Ask for Anything More wrote on July 18, 2007 - 1:19 am

I was a little bit glad to read in your comments that some other people didn’t go to camp, I didn’t get that experience either!
But we did send our kids to church camps/christian camps and it was always such a great thing for them.

gail@more than a song wrote on July 18, 2007 - 1:28 am

Here are my camp experiences–I went twice. I cried all day the first day–and all night, and my dad picked me up the next day after he got off work. Both times. Pathetic isn’t it. I couldn’t stay away from home for more than one night until I was in college and had to.

JennaG wrote on July 18, 2007 - 1:48 am

what great memories! I actually never attended a summer sleep-away camp! Sounds like I missed out on some fun!

Michelle wrote on July 18, 2007 - 3:06 am

Good Tuesday evening Annie,
you had the kind of camp experiences every child should get to enjoy !

Loving Annie wrote on July 18, 2007 - 3:09 am

sounds fun

Joyismygoal wrote on July 18, 2007 - 4:26 am

I hate that I missed participating in this Annie! Your camp experiences sound so much like mine. I loved going to camp!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows wrote on July 19, 2007 - 7:17 pm