post Category: Uncategorized — mylifeasannie @ 1:55 am — post Comments (27)

Today for our travel through time, we will be visiting our first date. Can you remember who your first date was with, where you went, etc.?

Us about 8 months after we met, just home from church…

Matt…

Here’s me & Matt not long after we started dating…

I was the youngest, with two older brothers. My parents were very trusting of me and let me go out at a young age. I can’t really call these dates though. I mostly went with guys from church youth group places or with a group of people. Sometimes on a group ‘date’ but not really a date. . . until I met Matt. I met Matt right after his 18th birthday and two months before my 16th birthday. The first day I met him he asked me out on a date. I had gone to an amusement park the night before with a friend and two guys and felt like my social life was just taking off so I didn’t mind telling him, “I have plans Friday.” He asked about Saturday to which I replied, “I have plans Saturday too.” This was a Thursday, so he said, “how about tonight?” and I said, “sure.”

This is a picture about two years into our relationship…

So, for our first date we did take along my best friend and his best friend (who got along great)… and went to eat and to his friend’s house an hour away from home with no parents home. My parents would have been mortified had they known that at the time. We popped a ton of fireworks (all at the same time) and then headed back home. We sat in the car for almost an hour with the song “You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips…” playing in the background. It was planned that way, he had the cassette tape in the tape player ready to go. I fell for him that first night, although I kept my plans the following two nights. We dated pretty much exclusively for several months and then he decided to date some fellow college girls. I didn’t mind much because I had met a guy at a FBLA (future business leaders of America) conference and was ‘dating’ him. This dating other people thing went on until my dad called him by the wrong name mistakenly one evening. He showed up later with a gold cross necklace and a request for an exclusive relationship again. The rest is history… We’re about to have our 18th wedding anniversary in June. I can’t believe how many years have passed and it’s funny to think of our early conversations and dreams.

I can’t wait to read about your first date!

As always, if you have any suggestions for travel let me know. I was thinking about traveling to our first birth experience but don’t want to leave out those who don’t have children yet … so maybe there will be an alternate path for them? Let me know what you think.

Wow! What memories! I remember you both from then – how times flies! I haven’t really seen many pics of Matt on your blog. You were so cute together and you’ve grown so much and gone through so much together! Congrats on the upcoming anniversary. I can always remember the year because Jody and I share the same year with you. I am enjoying reading your Time Travel Tuesday adventures every week! Thanks for sharing!
annb

annb wrote on May 29, 2007 - 2:23 am

Greetings from Singapore Annie πŸ™‚
Just came by from Tina’s blog and hey what great post and yes, it amazes me that you still have all these lovely photos.

Happy 18th Anniversary and many many more to come πŸ˜€

Shionge wrote on May 29, 2007 - 2:24 am

Awww, how cute y’all were!!! Had to laugh when you said your Dad called him the wrong name, LOL. That moment was key to where you are today, huh?! LOL!!

I think the first birth idea is a great one. Like with anything you pick, not every edition will pertain to each and all of us. I had to sit out the first few since I couldn’t remember that particular year. So, the birth one would be fine, in my opinion.

Carrie! :o) wrote on May 29, 2007 - 2:46 am

You two are adorable. My first date was with a fella from school and he took me to “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. You know I don’t have one picture from that.

Susanne wrote on May 29, 2007 - 4:05 am

AWWWWWWWWWW.. you married your 1st date.. that is so sweet.. and NO I’m not just saying that.. because I did the same thing πŸ™‚
mine is up now. I felt like I could keep writing and writing but I stopped myself LOL..

KC wrote on May 29, 2007 - 5:17 am

I love memories!! Thanks for sharing.

Tori :) wrote on May 29, 2007 - 5:44 am

Oh Annie, you both look so beautiful and young and perfect together!
Wishing you happiness.

IRENE wrote on May 29, 2007 - 8:50 am

This was a great read and I enjoyed the pictures so much. Congratulations on the upcoming 18!!

Penless Thoughts wrote on May 29, 2007 - 10:39 am

Hmmmm, maybe if my dad had called a couple of guys by the wrong name I would’ve been saved from some of the stupid things I did. I’m glad it worked to your advantage!
My first date edition is up!

Irritable Mother wrote on May 29, 2007 - 12:58 pm

I wasn’t going to leave a message [newbie] but I saw your sidebar so now I feel obliged not to lurk.
I’ll have to think about that topic – so much has happened inbetween then and now.
Best wishes

mcewen wrote on May 29, 2007 - 1:55 pm

awww quite the romantic couple! super memories and fun pics!

palmtreefanatic wrote on May 29, 2007 - 2:07 pm

Nice memory πŸ™‚ Mine is up, sorry it is kinda boring :p

Sara wrote on May 29, 2007 - 2:09 pm

That was very sweet!!

I just discovered TTT last week, so I don’t know what topics you’ve done so far, but here are some ideas:

First day of school (or first memories of school)
Memories of junior high school
Memories of high school
First job
Earliest memories of dad (with father’s Day coming up)
First amusement park
Summer memories from childhood
Vacation memories from childhood
Sunday School teachers you had in childhood
Memories from school plays or recitals

Barbara H. wrote on May 29, 2007 - 3:29 pm

Aww, that was so sweet Annie! I don’t think I’ve seen pics of Matt before either, enjoyed seeing them all. Congrats on your upcoming 18th anniversary!

gail wrote on May 29, 2007 - 4:26 pm

Great story Annie! Nothing like jealousy to jump start commitment! I enjoyed reading all about your first date.

Lauren@BaseballsandBows wrote on May 29, 2007 - 5:28 pm

You haven’t changed a bit!!!
What a great story…and beautiful family!

Dena wrote on May 29, 2007 - 5:37 pm

Awww! So sweet! πŸ™‚ How wonderful about you and your hubby!

Haley wrote on May 29, 2007 - 5:46 pm

I’ve wondered what Matt looks like, and how tall he is since you are tall. He looks around 6’8 maybe? Anyway, it’s good to see the pictures. I wish I had skipped all the other boys, and gone straight to dh. Oh well, mine is up.

CoachJ wrote on May 29, 2007 - 5:49 pm

What a nice memory. πŸ™‚

– PRACTiCAL CHiCK wrote on May 29, 2007 - 6:02 pm

You know, I wasn’t kidding when I said I couldn’t remember my first date and I think that might be because it wasn’t really a date. My dad was so strict, it was probably just a boy-girl party I went to.

But….I CAN remember my first date with my husband. I may post about that, a day late, because Mandy is here today and we’re up to here in wedding stuff.

Look at you two. So, so cute. You’re a great looking couple.

Barb wrote on May 29, 2007 - 6:35 pm

I like reading your Time Travel….. it’s amazing that you still have so many photos (and can find them!).

Jill@Who Could Ask for Anything More wrote on May 29, 2007 - 7:22 pm

Sweet story Annie. πŸ™‚ Maybe I should do another post about my first date with my husband? I knew I was going to marry him a week after we started dating–my mom and I began planning the wedding behind his back!!! πŸ™‚

kim wrote on May 29, 2007 - 8:10 pm

hello! you won my mod*mom giveaway for french bull plates from givesimple. please send me your mailing address, hugs, mod*mom

modmom wrote on May 29, 2007 - 9:31 pm

I, too, think it’s very cool that you married your first date. Where I’m from you didn’t really date–you cruised town–really. My first real date wasn’t until I was in college with a guy named Bill. He was a very nice guy–B. knew him–I remember ordering fish–not realizing I had ordered the kind that came out with the head–I couldn’t eat it. He must have thought I was awful–just picking at it. He was an usher at my wedding.

JennaG wrote on May 29, 2007 - 11:00 pm

You have the most beautiful smile in all photos!!

Linda

Ribbon Rock Star wrote on May 30, 2007 - 12:31 am

Lovely pictures and a lovely story. I went with my first “date” with my hubs.

Sorry I’m behind today.

Joyful Days wrote on May 30, 2007 - 1:12 am

Great pictures. I like your time travel . Great idea .

Angel Mama ( Pearls of Wisdom)

Pearls of Wisdom wrote on May 30, 2007 - 3:10 am